HOW TO MAKE PEPERO CHOCOLATE STICKS AT HOME
Lotte’s Pepero is the Korean version of Japanese Pocky. And Nov. 11 is 11/11, which means four Peperos (to people working at Lotte company). So Lotte started celebrating Nov. 11th as Pepero day, which was a clever marketing strategy because it is hugely successful in Korea now.
STEP 1: GRAB YOUR STICKS.
Have 'em ready for action. Make these sticks from scratch or get them at your local grocery shop. Doesn't have to be Korean. As long as you find edible goods in the form of sticks, you're good to go! As for me, I'm using ingredients found at the American market.
Experiment with different kinds of sticks to find your perfect match.
- Breadsticks. These looks more like the classic Pepero sticks made of biscuit.
- Pretzel rod. The salt bits paired with dark chocolate make a winning combo!
- Wafer rolls. Shorter and more delicate compared to the previous sticks. However they do contain chocolate inside!
STEP 2: MELT THE CHOCOLATE.
Whatever your favorite chocolate is, it is time to melt them. Microwave or double boil. Your choice. I'll be using the double boil method to melt my morsels of dark and white chocolate.
Fill a saucepan with 2-3 inches of water. Place a snug-fitting glass or metal bowl on top. Make sure the heat is on low heat for simmering and that the water in the
saucepan doesn't touch your stacked bowl. We don't want to burn the chocolate.
- Make sure your chocolate bits are in small, equal pieces.
- The double boil method. Typically you'd use a snug-fitting glass or metal bowl for stacking. Otherwise, improvise. Perhaps you'll place a bowl at an angle like I did (above).
- Dump those chocolate morsels into the stacked bowl as the water simmers. Keep stirring. When there are only a couple bits left to be melted, turn the heat off.
STEP 3: COVER THE STICKS WITH MELTED CHOCOLATE.
Leave one end of the stick untouched by chocolate. This allows for people to enjoy your homemade Pepero sticks without creating a hot mess on their fingers.
STEP 4: DECORATE THOSE STICKS!
Before the melted chocolate dries and hardens, sprinkle on your desired ingredients. Your sticks may look like twinsies of the original Pepero flavors. Or get creative and invent your own combo of party-in-the-mouths!