How to Make Crescent Rolls
My daughter and I have cranked out dozens of homemade crescent rolls. It’s a real team effort. I cut the dough into pie-shaped wedges; she rolls
- Prep time : 40 min
- Ingredients : 8
- Servings : 32
- Total: 40 min
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
The Crescent Rolls
recipe is incredibly easy. It contains simple ingredients that you should already have on hand. all-purpose flour, active dry yeast, salt, milk, butter(cubed), honey, egg yolks, butter(melted)
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk, cubed butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg yolks; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14-in. circle; cut each circle into 16 wedges. Lightly brush wedges with melted butter. Roll up from wide ends, pinching pointed ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets, point side down. Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 9-11 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm.
Freeze option: Immediately after shaping, freeze rolls on parchment paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag; return to freezer. Freeze up to 4 weeks. To use, let rise and bake as directed, increasing rise time to 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
Chive Crescents: Divide 2/3 cup minced fresh chives between two circles of dough.
Orange-Pecan Crescents: Toss 1 cup finely chopped pecans with 1/3 cup sugar and 4 teaspoons grated orange zest; divide mixture between two circles.
Cranberry-Thyme Crescents: Toss 1 cup finely chopped dried cranberries with 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts and 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves; divide mixture between two circles.