Toasted Coconut and Macaroon Peach Tart
7 ounces almond macaroons, store-bought or homemade
1 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded dried coconut, toasted*
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup chilled heavy cream
1 pound Philadelphia-brand cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon lemon oil
2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
3-4 medium size ripe peaches
1/4 cup apricot jam
1 tablespoon water
1/2 pint fresh blueberries
*To toast coconut, position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Spread coconut in single layer in rimmed baking pan and bake for 6-10 minutes, or until golden, stirring three or four times during baking. Cool completely before using.
1. Make crust: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Lightly butter 11" fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
2. With your fingers, coarsely break up macaroons. Put pieces on rimmed baking sheet and allow to stand at room temperature overnight, or until dry.
3. Place macaroon pieces in bowl of food processor fitted with metal chopping blade and pulse until very finely chopped. Transfer crumbs to large mixing bowl. (There should be about 11/2 cups crumbs.) Do not wash processor bowl and blade. Place toasted coconut in bowl of food processor fitted with metal chopping blade. Pulse until coconut is finely chopped. Add to bowl containing macaroon crumbs. Add sugar and melted butter and mix with fork until mixture is well-combined and evenly moistened.
4. Pour crust mixture into prepared tart pan and, using your fingers, press it evenly onto bottom and up sides of pan. Bake crust for 8 -10 minutes, or until set. Cool completely on wire rack.
5. Make filling: Pour cream into medium, chilled mixing bowl. Using hand-held mixer, whip cream on medium-speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to high and whip until cream forms firm peaks. Refrigerate until needed.
6. In bowl of electric mixer using paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Stop and scrape down sides of bowl. On low speed, beat in orange and lemon zests. Beat in lemon oil and liqueur, mixing until well-combined. Remove bowl from mixer stand and, using large rubber spatula, fold in whipped cream. Scrape filling into cooled tart shell. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until thoroughly chilled.
7. Assemble tart: Unmold filled shell from tart pan and transfer to flat serving platter.
8. Cut peaches in half and discard pits. Thinly slice peach halves and decoratively arrange slices over chilled filling.
9. In small saucepan, combine apricot jam and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil. Remove from heat and, using pastry brush, brush tops of peaches with hot apricot glaze.
10. Sprinkle as many blueberries as desired on top of tart and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Tart should be served within 3 hours of being glazed.)
Hemingways at the Hyatt Grand Cypress Resort, One Grand Cypress Blvd., Orlando, FL 32836; 407-239-1234.
Next Article: Chocolate Hazelnut Semifreddo