Pumpkin Mousse Napoleon With Chocolate Sauce
1 sheet prepared puff pastry, thawed
1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup heavy cream, divided
1 cup prepared high quality chocolate sauce
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place puff pastry on lightly floured work surface and cut on folded seams into 3 strips. Cut again into 3 strips crosswise, forming 9 squares. It is important when cutting not to drag the knife through the puff pastry. Instead push down on the knife to cut the pastry. This will lead to a flakier, higher puff.
3. Combine sugar and pumpkin pie spice, and divide in half. Lightly brush puff pastry with water and sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Place puff rectangles on prepared sheet. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack.
5. Make pumpkin mousse: Place pumpkin puree in bowl and whisk lightly. Place 1 cup of heavy cream in bowl of heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat on high until it starts to thicken. Gradually add remaining sugar mixture. Using whisk attachment, gently fold cream into pumpkin.
6. Assemble Napoleons: Slice puff squares in half crosswise. Dust tops with confectioners' sugar. Place dollop of pumpkin mousse in center of bottom, spreading gently. Place top on. Serve each on dessert plate with swirl of chocolate sauce around the plate. Serve immediately.
Recipe developed by Mary Schaaf Mulard
Next Article: Maple Oatmeal Meringue Squares