Irish Soda Bread
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons white or apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1. Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 4758F. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
2. Combine the flours and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Stir well with a whisk.
3. Combine milk and vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes; add honey. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. (Dough will be a bit sticky.) Cover bowl and allow dough to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Remove dough and place on a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead it until smooth, about 1 minute. Form dough into a round loaf and place on prepared pan. Using a very sharp knife, make an X on top of loaf about 1" deep and 5" long. Let loaf rest about 10 minutes.
5. Bake soda bread for about 40-45 minutes, until it has risen and is deep brown in color. Place soda bread on a rack to cool completely. Serve with butter and marmalade along with tea.
For more gourmet chocolate recipes, and other ways to create a specialty chocolate gift, please see our chocolate recipes section. Thank you for visiting chocolate.com.