Individual Chocolate Coffee Almond Tarts
Chocolate tart dough:
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in 1/2" cubes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup slivered almonds
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark rum
1 large egg
7 ounces Valrhona Café Noir, finely chopped (coffee-flavored chocolate)
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter,
Edible gold leaf for decoration*
*Note: Edible gold leaf can be purchased from www.misterart.com
1. Make dough: In bowl of food processor, process almonds with sugar until nuts are very finely ground. Add flour, cocoa and salt and process until well combined. Sprinkle cold butter cubes over mixture and process for a few seconds until the mixture resembles coarse sand or meal. Add egg and mix until dough comes together. Gather dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a thickness of about 1/8". Using a small plate or cutter as a guide, cut out eight 5" circles from dough. Transfer circles to a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
3. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F. Remove dough circles from refrigerator and press dough into 8 individual 4" buttered tart pans, pressing dough against bottom and sides. Roll pin over top of tart pan to remove excess dough. Place dough-lined pans in freezer for at least 20 minutes before baking.
4. Make almond cream: In bowl of food processor, process almonds until nuts are finely ground. In electric mixer, using paddle attachment, beat butter at medium high speed for about one minute until creamy. Add sugar and beat for about one minute until blended. Add ground almonds, rum and egg, beating well after each addition. Spread a thin layer of almond cream on bottom of each chilled tart. Bake tarts for about 25 minutes or until almond cream is slightly browned. Transfer pans to wire rack and cool completely.
5. Make chocolate filling: Place finely chopped Valrhona Café Noir in a medium bowl and set aside.
6. In a small saucepan, combine heavy cream and corn syrup over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Pour over chopped chocolate and let stand 30 seconds to melt chocolate. Whisk gently until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth and shiny.
7. Whisk in softened butter. Remove tart shells from tart pans. Pour mixture into pre-baked tart shells. Use a knife tip to pop any surface bubbles. Allow tarts to set for one hour in a cool room.
8. Put a small amount of edible gold leaf in center of each tart for decoration.
Mrs. London's, 464 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY, 12866; 518-581-1834; www.mrslondons.com.
Next Article: Lemon and White Chocolate Cupcakes