Green Tea Semifreddo with Fresh Fruits
3 tablespoons water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
6 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon green tea powder*
1 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
Fresh fruit compote:
4 kumquats, sliced
6 strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
*Note: Green tea powder is available in Asian markets or by mail from Katagiri and Company, 224 East 59th Street, NY, NY 10022; phone 212-755-3566.
1. Make semifreddo: Coat 8" x 4" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line pan with plastic wrap, letting wrap extend beyond short ends of pan. Put water and sugar in small, heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high and bring to boil.
2. Meanwhile, place yolks in bowl of electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment and beat at high speed until pale and thick.
3. Place candy thermometer into sugar syrup. Boil syrup until it reaches a temperature of 250°F (hard ball stage). This should take about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and while yolks are beating at medium speed, trickle a small amount of syrup onto yolks. Continue adding syrup until it is all incorporated. Increase speed to high and continue to beat yolk mixture until cool, about 3 minutes. Beat in lemon juice and green tea powder until blended. Remove bowl from mixer stand and gently fold in whipped cream. Scrape mixture into prepared loaf pan and smooth into even layer. Cover top of pan (without touching mixture) and freeze for at least 3 hours (or up to 2 days), until almost firm.
4. Make fruit compote: In medium bowl, combine fruits, mint and sugar. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until fruits have released their juices.
5. To serve, dip bottom of loaf pan in hot water for a few seconds to soften semifreddo. Invert onto cutting surface and remove pan. Slice semifreddo into 3/4" slices and serve immediately with fresh fruit compote.
Next Article: Strawberry Mascarpone Semifreddo