Espresso Flavored Milk Chocolate Panna Cotta
1/4 cup water
1 3/4 cups heavy cream, divided
6 ounces milk chocolate (about 40%), finely chopped
1 envelope powdered unflavored gelatin (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
11/3 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
4 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Unsweetened whipped cream
Grated milk chocolate
1. Have ready six martini glasses or slope-sided 8-ounce coffee cups. Pour water into small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and set aside to soften for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. In large saucepan, bring 1 cup cream to boil over medium-high heat. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, swirling pan to completely cover chocolate with hot cream. Let stand for 3 minutes to melt chocolate. Gently whisk mixture until smooth and well-blended.
3. Combine remaining cream, milk, sugar and espresso powder in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar and espresso powder are dissolved. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Remove from heat and slowly pour hot cream mixture into chocolate mixture while whisking constantly, until well-blended. Whisk in softened gelatin and vanilla, until gelatin is completely melted.
4. Strain mixture through fine-mesh sieve into pitcher or large glass measuring cup with pouring spout and fill glasses or cups. Refrigerate until set, loosely covered, about 6 hours.
5. Garnish each dessert with whipped cream and a sprinkling of grated milk chocolate.