Double Chocolate Coconut Cake
Double chocolate coconut cake:
1/2 cup unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 3/4 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
3 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
Fluffy white frosting:
1 jasmine tea bag or 1 teaspoon jasmine tea leaves
1/3 cup boiling water
2 large egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
One 7-ounce package sweetened flaked dried coconut (about 2 cups) packed
1. Make double chocolate coconut cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter bottom and sides of 10" springform pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment or wax paper and butter paper.
2. Place cocoa powder in medium bowl. Slowly add boiling water and whisk until mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. Place chopped chocolate in food processor fitted with metal blade and pulse until finely ground, making sure not to over-process and melt chocolate. Transfer ground chocolate to small bowl.
4. In medium bowl, sift together cake flour, baking soda and salt.
5. In small bowl, stir together coconut milk and vanilla.
6. In bowl of electric mixer, using paddle attachment, beat butter, brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar on medium speed for 3-5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add cocoa mixture and beat just until blended. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with coconut milk mixture in 2 additions. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
7. Place egg whites in clean bowl of electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whip whites on medium speed until foamy. Increase speed to medium-high and gradually add remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Whip until meringue holds firm peaks. Using rubber spatula, mix about 1/4 meringue into chocolate batter to lighten. Gently fold remaining meringue into batter.
8. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle ground chocolate over batter in even layer. Bake for about 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Completely cool cake in pan on wire rack. Unmold sides of springform pan and invert cake onto large, flat plate or cardboard round. Peel off paper, then re-invert cake onto 9" cardboard round.
9. Make fluffy white frosting: Place jasmine tea bag or tea leaves in small heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water and allow to steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bag or, if using tea leaves, strain into another small bowl.
10. Place egg whites, sugar, salt and jasmine tea into bowl of electric mixer. With hand whisk, whisk ingredients until foamy. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water, making sure bottom of bowl is above water level. Continue whisking until sugar is dissolved and mixture reaches 160°F, about 2-3 minutes.
11. Remove bowl from heat and place on mixer stand. Using wire whisk attachment, whip on medium speed until frosting holds stiff peaks, 5-7 minutes.
12. Assemble cake: Using small offset spatula, spread frosting evenly over top and sides of cake. With palm of hand, press flaked coconut all over frosting. Carefully place cake onto large serving platter.