Coconut Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup cream of coconut*
4 large egg yolks
3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
*Cream of coconut is sold in cans and can be found in the drink aisle or ethnic section of your grocery store. Be sure not to buy coconut milk, as it is not as sweet and thick as cream of coconut.
1. Prepare ice cream: Place 1 3/4 cups shredded sweetened coconut on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 5-10 minutes or until lightly golden, stirring frequently. Set 1 cup aside for garnish.
2. In saucepan, bring milk, heavy cream and cream of coconut to a boil.
3. In bowl, whisk yolks until combined. Whisk 1/3 of boiling liquid into yolks. Return remaining liquid to a boil then whisk yolk mixture into liquid. Cook, whisking constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Strain through a sieve into a bowl. Cool over an ice bath, stirring occasionally. When mixture reaches room temperature, stir in toasted coconut. Cover and chill in refrigerator until cold or overnight.
5. Make ice cream: Process mixture in ice cream machine. When freezing is complete, transfer ice cream to freezer- proof container and freeze until firm.
6. Assembly: Slice banana into 1/4"-thick pieces. In sauté pan, melt butter. When pan is hot, add sliced bananas and fry until golden brown. Flip bananas over and brown other side.
7. Roll each ice cream scoop in the remaining 1 cup of toasted coconut or sprinkle on top of ice cream scoops. Serve sautéed bananas alongside ice cream
Next Article: Green Tea Semifreddo with Fresh Fruits