2 cups all-purpose bleached flour
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Grated zest of one lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, such as Land O’ Lakes, cut into chunks, at room temperature
1 large egg white
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Make the cookies:
1. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, place the flour, confectioners’ sugar, salt, cinnamon and grated lemon zest. Process until combined, about 15 seconds. Add the butter and process until the dough begins to come together. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and shape into two equal discs. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until firm enough to roll out.
2. Position one rack in the top third of the oven and another in the bottom third and preheat to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Place one disc of chilled dough on a floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough so that it is approximately 1/4-inch thick. Using a 23/4-inch star shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible from the dough. Carefully transfer the cookies onto one of the prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate until ready to bake. Gather the scraps of dough together and flatten into a disc. Wrap the disc in plastic wrap and
refrigerate until firm enough to roll out. (Re-roll the scraps one time only to make more cookies).
4. Repeat step 3 with the rest of the dough.
5. To make the glaze, whisk the egg white with the salt in a small bowl, until frothy. Using a pastry brush, brush the cookies with the glaze; then sprinkle with granulated sugar.
6. Bake the cookies for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are set and the bottoms are golden brown. Switch the positions of the baking sheets halfway through the baking time for even baking.
7. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 2 minutes. Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely. (The cookies can be stored in an airtight container, between sheets of wax paper, for up to 3 days).
Next Article: Hazelnut Lace Cookies with Chocolate Filling