Chocolate Hazelnut Crostata with Roasted Banana Ice Cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons water
Chocolate hazelnut filling:
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
8 ounces gianduja chocolate, finely chopped
3 large egg yolks
Roasted banana ice cream:
3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons toasted crushed hazelnuts
1. Make crostata dough: Place flour and sugar in large bowl and whisk together. Using pastry blender, cut in butter. Stir in yolks and water with fork until dough is formed. Knead gently 2-3 times. Divide into 6 portions and chill.
2. Make filling: Bring cream and sugar to boil. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and yolks. Whisk until smooth. Chill 6-8 hours.
3. Make ice cream: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Place bananas on baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes. Cool and place in food processor to purée. Set aside.
4. Bring cream, milk and sugar to boil in medium saucepan. Place yolks in medium bowl and whisk until light in color. Add a bit of hot cream mixture and whisk. Gently whisk yolk mixture back into cream mixture. Cook gently over medium heat until thick, stirring until mixture coats back of spoon. Strain and add roasted banana purée and vanilla.
5. Cool over large bowl of ice water and freeze in ice cream maker following
6. Assemble dessert: Preheat oven to 450°F. Roll crostata dough into approximately 1/4" thick, 6" diameter circles and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Fold dough in toward center at 1" intervals around edge of dough. Place baking sheet in freezer for 20 minutes before filling.
7. Place 1 tablespoon toasted crushed hazelnuts in center of crostata dough. Place 2 heaping tablespoons chocolate filling onto nuts. Bake until dough is golden and chocolate is bubbling, about 12 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, place on serving plate and serve with chocolate sauce and roasted banana ice cream.
Southpark Seafood Grill & Wine Bar, 901 SW Salmon Street, Portland, OR, 97205; 503-326-1300.
Next Article: Double Chocolate Coconut Cake