Chocolate Decadence And Fresh Berry Tart
Chocolate tart crust:
20 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
Chocolate raspberry ganache filling:
13/4 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup raspberry preserves
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
Fresh seasonal berries
1. Make chocolate tart crust: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, using paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract together at high speed for 2 minutes, until creamy. Turn mixer off, add cocoa powder, then mix at low speed until blended. Turn off mixer and add flour. Continue mixing until thoroughly blended. Scrape dough onto work surface and shape into disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, until chilled.
3. Soften dough at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Unwrap and place between 2 layers of parchment paper and roll into circle with rolling pin until about 1/8" thick. Remove top layer of paper and invert into tart pan. Press the pastry in and around all edges. Cut off any excess dough. Cover tart with parchment paper and fill with a layer of dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove paper and beans and continue baking until set, about 10 minutes more. Remove to wire rack to cool.
4. Make chocolate raspberry ganache: Over medium heat bring cream and raspberry preserves to a boil while stirring to combine. Remove from heat and add chocolate, gently whisking until smooth. Pour mixture into pastry shell and refrigerate for about 1 hour, until set.
5. Bring tart to room temperature before serving. Garnish each slice with fresh berries.
Snowvillage Inn, Stuart Road, Box 68, Snowville, NH 03832; 603-447-2818.
Next Article: Go Loco