Chocolate Banana Parfait
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
Milk chocolate custard:
1 pound milk chocolate, finely chopped
1 large egg
5 large egg yolks
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup rum
4 firm-ripe bananas
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
1. Make tuiles: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line baking sheet or large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sift flour and confectioners’ sugar into medium bowl and stir with wire whisk until combined. Add melted butter and egg whites. Using large rubber spatula, mix ingredients until very smooth and well-combined. Transfer 1/4 cup batter to small bowl and set aside.
3. Sift cocoa powder into bowl containing remaining batter and mix with large rubber spatula until well-combined.
4. Transfer chocolate batter to prepared pan. Using small offset metal spatula, spread batter into very thin rectangular layer, about 11" x 15". Dot surface of chocolate layer with half-teaspoon-sized mounds of reserved plain batter. With small offset metal spatula, spread plain batter over chocolate batter to create marbleized pattern, making sure to keep combined layer as thin as possible.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until set and dry. Cool completely in pan on wire rack, then break into irregularly shaped serving-sized pieces.
6. Make custard: Place chocolate in large heatproof bowl and melt according to directions in Chocolate Key on page 47. Keep warm.
7. In medium heatproof bowl, whisk egg and yolks until blended.
8. Pour cream and rum into large, heavy saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and gradually pour half of hot cream mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour mixture back into saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon until mixture thickens enough to coat back of spoon, about 1 minute. Strain mixture into bowl containing melted chocolate and whisk until well-blended.
9. Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours, until thickened and thoroughly chilled. (Filling may be made up to 1 day ahead.)
10. Make sautéed bananas: Peel and slice each banana diagonally into 1/3"-thick slices. Discard ends.
11. Melt butter in medium skillet set over medium-high heat. Add sugar and spices and cook until sugar is dissolved. Add banana slices and sauté until they are coated with butter mixture, about 30 seconds. Keep warm.
12. Assemble desserts: Pour cream into medium, chilled mixing bowl. Using hand-held mixer, whip cream on medium-speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to high and whip until cream forms firm peaks. Refrigerate until needed.
13. Fill each wine or parfait glass one-third of the way with milk chocolate custard. Spread about 2 tablespoons whipped cream in even layer over chocolate.Top with another layer of custard. Arrange 5 slices of sautéed banana on top of custard. Garnish desserts with dollop of remaining whipped cream and piece of marble tuile.
Mantra Restaurant, 52 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111; 617-542-8111.
Next Article: Chocolate Churros with Poached Tropical Fruit Compote