Chocolate Banana Custard
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate 11/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1" pieces
3/4 cup banana purée (about 2 medium bananas, smashed)
6 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
Exotic fruit sauce (makes about 1 cup):
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 medium ripe banana, peeled
1/4 large ripe mango (about 2 ounces), peeled and cored
Granulated sugar, to taste
Peeled mango, sliced into 1/4" slices
Star fruit, sliced into 1/4" slices
1. Prepare custard: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 300ºF. Spray 8" square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Press plastic wrap against inside of baking pan (spray will help it cling to the sides). Fold any extra plastic wrap over edges of the pan.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together banana purée, eggs and sugar. Add melted chocolate mixture and combine. Pour into prepared pan.
4. Place pan into large roasting pan, and fill with hot water so it comes about 1" up sides of 8" pan. Bake custard for about 45-50 minutes, or until set.
5. Remove from oven and take 8" pan out from water bath and place on wire rack. When cool, cover top of pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight.
6. Carefully remove plastic wrap from top, then lift up on the extra plastic wrap on the sides of the plan to remove the custard. Place on a cutting board, cut into 2" squares and chill until serving.
7. Make sauce: Place all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth. Add sugar to taste. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and refrigerate. Serve each square of custard with fruit sauce. Garnish with fruit.
Montage Resort & Spa, 30801 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651; 949-715-6000.
Next Article: Espresso, Express!