Condensed milk ice cream:
6 large egg yolks
2 cups whole milk, divided
1?2 teaspoon salt
1 (15-ounce) can sweetened
Chocolate tart dough:
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
11/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
Chocolate-coffee ganache filling:
17 ounces bittersweet chocolate (66% cocoa mass), finely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely ground French roast coffee*
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
*Note: at the restaurant Chef Ong uses Boa Vietnamese coffee powder, which is roasted with caramel, cinnamon and star anise. Since it is difficult to find, we substituted a French roast coffee at his suggestion.
1. Make condensed milk ice cream: Place egg yolks in a large bowl and set aside. Fill a large bowl 1/3-full with ice water and set aside. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 cup of milk to scalding. Pour 1/3 hot milk over yolks, whisking constantly until well combined. Pour in remaining hot milk, then pour mixture back into saucepan and return to low heat. Stir constantly until mixture has thickened enough to coat back of wooden spoon. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 cup milk, salt and condensed milk. Place bowl in ice bath (be careful not to spill water into ice cream base) for about 10 minutes, until mixture is cool. Place in a covered plastic container and refrigerate until mixture is cold, about 2 hours. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions.
2. Make chocolate tart dough: Place almonds and 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar in food processor fitted with metal chopping blade. Pulse until almonds are very finely ground. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter, cocoa powder, ground almonds and salt on medium speed until well-combined. Turn mixer to low and add remaining confectioners’ sugar and flour and mix well. Slowly add eggs and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Shape dough into a ball and flatten into a disc. Wrap well with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. Position rack to center of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Using a rolling pin, roll dough between two sheets of lightly floured parchment or waxed paper until it is about 1/8" thick and 13" in diameter. Transfer dough to tart pan, pressing against edges. Roll pin over top to remove excess dough. Place a large sheet of parchment on top of dough and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 20 minutes, remove paper and beans and continue to bake for another 20 minutes until dry. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Leave oven on.
5. Make chocolate-coffee ganache filling: Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine coffee, cream, condensed milk and salt to a simmer, whisking constantly. Strain mixture though a fine-mesh sieve on top of chopped chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth, then whisk in eggs until smooth and shiny. Pour into baked tart shell and place tart on baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until filling is just slightly jiggly in the center. Place tart on wire rack and cool completely.
6. Assemble dessert: To serve, slice tart into 10 slices, and place on plate with a scoop of Condensed Milk Ice Cream.
Spice Market, 403 W. 13th St., NY, NY; 212-675-2322.
Next Article: Cupcake Coup