Cherry, Almond and Orange Semifreddo with Chocolate Glaze
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
2 cups chilled heavy cream
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped amaretti (about 18 cookies)*
1/2 cup finely chopped dried cherries
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Bittersweet chocolate sauce:
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon amaretto liqueur
Note: Also known as Italian macaroons, amaretti are available at Italian markets and some supermarkets
1. Make semifreddo: Lightly grease bottom and sides of 91/4"-by-51/4"-by-3/4" metal loaf pan. Line pan with plastic wrap so that plastic extends about 3" beyond rim of pan.
2. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar in large metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water). Whisk constantly until candy thermometer registers 160°F, about 4-6 minutes. Remove bowl from over water. Add amaretto liqueur. Using electric mixer, beat until cool and thick, about 3 minutes.
3. In chilled 41/2–quart bowl of heavy-duty electric mixer, using wire whip attachment, whip cream at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Using large rubber spatula, gently fold one-third of whipped cream into egg mixture to lighten it. Fold in remaining whipped cream. Gently fold in amaretti, dried cherries and orange zest. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
4. Unmold semifreddo: Cover 91/2"-by-5" cardboard rectangle with aluminum foil. Remove semifreddo from freezer and unwrap pan. Dip loaf pan into very hot water for 2-3 seconds. Wipe sides of pan dry. Put foil-covered rectangle on top of semifreddo. Invert loaf pan onto cardboard rectangle and lift off pan. Freeze wrapped semifreddo while you prepare glaze.
5. Make chocolate glaze: Place chocolate in medium bowl. In small saucepan, heat cream and corn syrup over medium heat until mixture comes to boil. Pour hot cream mixture over chocolate. Let stand for 30 seconds to melt chocolate. Gently whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Let cool to tepid.
6. Remove plastic wrap from chilled semifreddo and place on wire rack set on baking sheet. Spoon tepid chocolate glaze over semifreddo, coating it completely. Let glaze set for 2-3 minutes, then return semifreddo to freezer for at least 1 hour.
7. Make bittersweet chocolate sauce: Place chocolate in medium bowl. In small saucepan, heat cream and corn syrup over medium heat until mixture comes to boil. Pour hot cream mixture over chocolate. Let stand for 30 seconds to melt chocolate. Gently whisk until smooth. Stir in amaretto liqueur. (Sauce should be served slightly warm or at room temperature.)
8. Assemble dessert: Remove semifreddo from freezer. Slice and place one slice on each plate. Drizzle with bittersweet chocolate sauce.
Next Article: Bittersweet Chocolate Silk Pie